Wednesday 9 July 2014

Weds. July 9th - "The Myth of Average" - film response


NOTES
  • "What good is tech best technology if you can't reach the best instruments of the world?"
  • designing to fit the average
  • no such thing as an "average" pilot
  • "jagged size profile" - no one is the same on every dimension
  • BAN THE AVERAGE
  • "deign to the edges" of the pilots
  • flexible cockpit (classroom)
  • adjustable seat - diverse pilots
  • designing textbooks and learning environments for the "average" student
  • varying dimensions of learning
  • jagged learning profile
  • nurture individual potential
  • average hurts everyone
  • design on average destroys talent > leads to boredom/dropouts > also makes it hard to identify (ie. Science whiz who struggles with reading)
  • technology allows us to do more than average
  • education has gone digital
  • tech is already here - what do we want it to be
  • using tech to create FLEXIBLE learning environments
  • language translation
  • simple solutions with HUGE impacts
  • new digital science curriculum
  • performance improvement through tech
  • formula for success from the Air Force
MY ADJUSTABLE SEAT

I teach multiple courses to multiple grades at the same time, so my entire approach to teaching and learning is an "adjustable seat". I have to gear my lessons toward a wide variety of learning styles, age levels and content, all the while ensuring I am meeting outcomes at different grade levels. Next year I will be teaching a combined 6,7,8,9 Health class. I have been working on a plan of attack for how to approach this but am open to suggestions ;) My idea of what works and what doesn't work in classroom is everchanging. Just when I think I have it all figured out, I am thrown a curveball. I suppose a major component to education is that it should be ever-changing and evolving.

TAKEAWAYS



1 comment:

  1. Love your teach to the edges poster! ...not to mention your ban the average presentation!

    ReplyDelete